Private René Dusseault or René Lapensée

Private René Dusseault served in the 58 th battalion Canadian Expeditionary Forces during World War One. He enlisted a second time under an alias of René Lapensée. He is entitled to the British War medal and the Victory Medal. His service numbers were 634070 (Dusseault) and 144200 (Lapensée).

War Service Badge Class “A” 230345 : not with the group

Born on May 14th 1896 in Hull, Quebec          Trade : Labourer and Lumberjack

Religion : Roman catholic       Status : single           Height : 5′ 3″

Eyes : brown           Hair : black              Weight : 130 lbs

Name of his father : Wilfred Dusseault                   Address : 14 Melrose Avenue, Ottawa

August 2nd, 1915 : Enlisted in the 77th battalion in Ottawa under the name René Lapensée.

October 23rd : Sailed on the SS California from Quebec. Arrived in England on November 2nd, 1915.

February 23rd, 1916 : He was declared medically unfit (urinal incontinence) for military service and was sent back to Canada. The report stated that he was suffering this problem before enlisting.

April 18th : Enlisted in Cornwall in the 154th battalion (Stormont Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders) under the name René Dusseault. He stated that he had 4 months of previous military service with the 73rd Regiment (Hull).

October 25th : Sailed from Halifax on board HMT Mauretamia (with John Angus Gillies), arrived in Liverpool, England on October 31st. They walked to Bramshott Camp under the rain and arrived late at night.

January 5th, 1917: Transferred to the 58th battalion.

April 12th : Reported Missing in action. He was discovered and accused

Accusation «When on active service deserting his majestys Services in that on the 12th April 1917 absented himself from his company in the La Folie Wood trenches until apprehended by an escort in a Y.M.C.A. Hut Ecoivres. Sentenced to 10 years penal servitude. Sentence confirmed by Lt. Col H. A. Genet 9th Cdn Inf Bgde who commutes the sentence to 5 years penal servitude»

October 6th : He was accused in a second trial for «when on active service absented himself without leave from 10:00 am August 21st, 1917 to August 27th 1917». Imprisoned and waiting for his trial from August 27th, 1917 to October 18th, 1917 when he was put on trial. He was sentenced to 56 days forfeit pays. He was imprisoned from August 27th to October 18th.

For a full transcript of his trials click here Trial transcript

October 11th : Hospitalized at the 12th Canadian Field Ambulance for Albuminuria.

November 14th : Transferred to the 12th Canadian Casualty Clearing Station.

November 17th : Transferred to the  4th General Hospital in Camiers on for the same illness.

February 10th, 1919 : Sent to England.

March 17th : Embarked on the SS Olympic in South Hampton, England.

March 28th : Demobilized.

Died on June 10 th 1941.

If you know more information on this gentleman, please leave me message so I can add it to his small biography.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: