Captain Edwin John Bradley

Captain Edwin John Bradley served in the Royal Army Medical Corps during World War One. He served with the 17th General Hospital and was later attached to the North Midland Field Ambulance with the Territorial Forces. He received the Military Cross with bar and he is entitled to the 1914-15 Star, British War medal and the Victory medal with the oak leaves.

He was born on June 16th, 1890.

He was educated at Dover College, Jesus College in Cambridge and St-Bartholonew Hospital in 1913. He got his M.B and M.D. in 1921.

According to the 1891 British Census he was living with his father and mother in St-James Parish in Dover.

According to the 1901 British Census he was living with his father and mother in St-James Parish in Dover. His father was a merchant and he had two brothers.

According to the 1911 British Census he was living with his cousin and he was a student

He was promoted Lieutenant on January 7th, 1915 (London Gazette)

He was Mentioned-in-dispatches on June 21st, 1916 for his action in Egypt

His bar to his Military Cross was announced in the London Gazette of January 1st, 1919 before the actual announcement of his Military Cross

His Military Cross was authorized on February 15th, 1919 and his citation was published in the London Gazette of July 30th, 1919: “He was in charge of the bearers during the attack on the St. Quentin Canal on September 29th, 1918, and displayed great gallantry and initiative. He went forward and sought a position for an advanced dressing station in Bellenglise when it was being heavily shelled by the enemy, and finally organized collecting and relay posts on a route farther north. His dispositions were most skillful and the rapid evacuation of the wounded was mainly due to the exertions of this officer.”

He was gazed at some point during the war and he would carry the sequels to that for the rest of his life.

Captain Edwin John Bradley medals


After the war, in 1919, he started a medical practice in Stafford

In 1924 he received his F.R.S.C. from the University of Edinburgh and became a surgeon at the Staffordshire General Infirmary

In October of 1927, he arrived in London from a trip to New York city. He must have been part of some gathering of surgeon and doctor because many surgeons are listed with him on the sailing list.

In the 3rd semester of 1929 he married Nora Thompson. After his marriage he moved to Margate and was appointed surgeon of the general hospital

In 1938 he adopted two boys who flew from the Nazi Germany.

During the Second World War he was the medical officer for the Royal School for Deaf and Dumb Children and the local Home Guard. He was part of the Dunkirk evacuation and treated the wounded British Soldier as they arrived in England.

He was the president of the Margate hospital from until his retirement. Arthritis and chronic bronchitis forced him to retired in 1948.

On October 7th 1948, he sailed with his wife from South Hampton on the Durban Castle to Capetown, South Africa

He with his wife arrived in South Hampton, England on June 3rd, 1949. They had sailed on the Capetown Castle from Port Elizabeth.

He died on March 22nd, 1958 at the Margate General Hospital in Bournemouth.

If you know more information on this gentleman, please leave me message so I can add it to his small biography

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: