Captain Daniel Ellsworth Munn

Captain Daniel Ellsworth Munn served with the 47th battalion and the Royal Canadian Regiment during World War One. He is entitled to the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

British War Medal and Victory Medal

Pailthorpe medals

He was born on May 30, 1887 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, the son of Angus and Sarah Agnes Munn, of New Westminster, British Columbia. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Lieutenant with the 47th Infantry Battalion, on March 24, 1915 in New Westminster,

He named his next-of-kin as his father, Angus, stating that he had previous military service with the 6th Regiment Duke of Connaught’s Own Rifles and the 104th Regiment Westminster Fusiliers of Canada. He was not married and that his trade as that of Estate & Insurance Broker.

The Battalion sailed to United Kingdom on November 13, 1915. He was later transferred to the Royal Canadian Regiment and soon found himself in the French theatre.

He was admitted to No. 9 Field Ambulance suffering from Influenza and Constipation and transferred to Mont des Cats the same day, June 13, 1916. He was again transferred, this time to No. 12 Casualty Clearing Station, where he received further treatment before rejoining his unit on July 7th. He was named Acting Captain on November 8, 1916; however, six months later, he was wounded during a trench raid on December 10, 1916. He was transferred to No. 3 General Hospital at Le Treport with a “slight gunshot wound to his scalp” on December 17th. He was absent from the ceremony where he was to receive his promotion to Captain, as he was still recovering from wounds.

He was evacuated to England via the Hospital Ship Dunluce Castle and transferred to Mrs. Arnold’s, 47 Roland Garden S.W. British Hospital on the 24th. Upon further assessment, he has suffering from gunshot wounds to his right forehead (temporal region) and the second finger on his right hand. He “had headaches for sometime after (the) injury” and by the end of December it was noted that “this Officer suffered the disability. Wounds healed. General health good except for lack of energy.”, although his “nervous system (was) somewhat weakened.” He was discharged on the 30th and deemed “unfit for service” for one month following his discharge, until being cleared for service beginning on January 29, 1917.

The following week, he proceeded overseas to rejoin the Royal Canadian Regiment on February 6, 1917, arriving in France on the 7th. He was transferred to the 3rd Entrenchment Battalion on February 11th and named Temporary Captain on February 28, 1917.

He was in command of “A” Company, stationed on the left side of the ridge, when he was wounded on the latter half of the first day of action, late on April 9 or early on April 10 at the Battle of Vimy Ridge. He was hospitalized at No. 6 Casualty Clearing Station and died from his wounds on April 18, 1917, at the age of 29. He is buried at Barlin Communal Cemetery at Pas de Calais, France.

His father, Angus, received his medals, plaque and scroll, while his mother, Sarah, received his Memorial Cross.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  • Michael O'Leary  On 2018/05/03 at 22:43

    You may find my page here on Daniel Munn of interest. I also have his 1914-15 Star and his Victory Medal in my personal collection of RCR medals and can provide photos if desired.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: