Staff-Sergeant Christopher Jones Arnold

Staff-Sergeant Christopher Jones Arnold served with the 14th battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Forces during World War One. He died while serving in United Kingdom. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. His mother received the Memorial Plaque and Memorial Cross

He was born on December 29, 1888 in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, England.

He enlisted on September 21, 1914 at Camp Valcartier, Quebec with the 14th Infantry Battalion, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Mrs. Louisa Arnold of Wolverton, He stated that he had four years’ service with an Active Militia as a member of the 3rd Regiment Victoria Rifles, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Pattern Maker.

Height: 5’ 6”               Weight: 140 lbs.         Eyes: grey

Hair: fair         Religion: Church of England

The Battalion sailed to England on October 3 aboard the S.S. Andania,

He was appointed Arm. Staff Corporal on January 1, 1915.

He left for the French theatre on August 1, joining the 14th Battalion in the field on the 4th.

He was appointed Arm. Corporal on September 25. He returned to the Canadian Base Depot on October 23rd, remaining there until November 20th, when he rejoined the 14th Battalion.

He was stuck off strength of the 14th Battalion and transferred to the Canadian Ordnance Corps on April 30, 1916. He was promoted to Arm Sergeant the next day, May 1st and transferred to the 13th battalion.

He reported “sick” two days after his transfer, to No. 14 Stationary Hospital at Wimereux with a suspected Enteric Fever on May 2nd. After three weeks, he was invalided and transferred “sick” to England, his condition stated as “Paratyphoid Slight”.

He soon found himself at the University War Hospital at Southampton on the 27th and diagnosed with Paratyphoid.

After ten days and no improvement in his condition, he was transferred to Ardington Park at West Croydon on June 6th and diagnosed Paratyphoid. He was transferred again, this time to Wear Bay Typhoid Convalescent Hospital on June 30, where he was to spend the next two months, to August 29, then transferred to the Military Hospital at Shorncliffe on the 30th and subsequently discharged, after four months hospitalization.

He required an additional three weeks at the Canadian Casualty Depot Monks Horton before he was struck off strength to the Canadian Ordnance Corps at Ashford on September 20.

He was later posted to the 13th Infantry Battalion for a short time.

He contracted German Measles and was admitted to “Isolation” at Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe on January 18, 1917. On February 6th, he was transferred to the Westcliffe Eye and Ear Hospital at Folkestone, diagnosed with Otitis Media (middle ear infection) and discharged two weeks later on the 22nd.

He soon saw a transfer from the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre to the Canadian Ordnance Corps. He is documented as being “on command” at the Ordnance College in Woolwich on October 1, remaining there until February 8, 1918.

He was stuck off strength and proceeded overseas on February 28, taken on strength by the Canadian Ordnance Corps at Ashford on March 1st.

One week later, he was transferred to the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion in Western Europe on March 8th. He soon saw another appointment, this time to Acting Arm. Staff Sergeant with pay on April 1st.

He was admitted to No. 3 Canadian Field Ambulance on June 5 and diagnosed Pyrexia of Unknown Origin and discharged the same day.

He was confirmed in the rank of Arm. Staff Sergeant in the field on July 1 while with the Canadian Ordnance Corps.

He was transferred to the 19th July Infantry Battalion at Witley on October 10th and returned to the Canadian Ordnance Corps on October 26th.

He was taken on strength at the Canadian Base Depot for disposal on October 29th before being transferred to England and posted to the General Depot at Witley on November 1st, whereupon he was taken on strength at the General Depot from the Canadian Ordnance Corps on November 4th.

He was admitted to the 11th Canadian General Hospital at Shorncliffe on November 6th with Chronic Bronchitis. In his medical records, it was noted that he was “seriously ill” and re-diagnosed with “Subacute, Malignant Endocarditis”. He had acquired a “cough” that lasted “most, all of the time”, combined with a shortness of breath, loss of weight and night sweats. His condition worsened over the next two weeks, to the point where he passed away on November 19, 1918.

In February of 1921, his mother, received his 1914-15 trio, The Memorial Plaque and Scroll and the Memorial Cross.

1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal


If you know more information on this gentleman, please leave me message so I can add it to his small biography.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: