Private Peter Scott

Private Peter Scott (service number 3759) served with the 1st battalion Scots Guards. He is entitled to the Egypt Medal (no clasp)

1882 Egypt Medal no clasp


He was born on January 15th, 1860 Old Monkland, Coatbridge, Lanark County, Scotland

On November 14th, 1876 he enlisted with the Scots Fusilier Guards in Edinburgh, Scotland. He joined the regiment on November 21st in London. He was a deserter who enlisted under the name of Andrew Falconer

Trade: Cooper              Height: 5’ 7”                Hair: Hazel

Eyes: Light brown      Religion: Presbyterian

He was imprisoned from November 10th to 20th 1880 for assaulting a police officer while drunk.

From March 1880 until July 1882, he was hospitalized eight times gonorrhoea, syphilis and herpes.  He left hospital 3 days before their departure for Egypt.

December 20th 1881, the battalion was sent to Dublin Ireland. They returned to London in March of 1882.

July 30th 1882: The 1st battalion of the Scots Guards sailed from Albert Docks in London, England on the ship Orient. The Scots Guards Regiment was part of the Guards Brigade with the 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards and the 1st Battalion Scots Guards. Their commanding officer was Prince Arthur the Duke of Connaught (Queen Victoria’s 7th child).

August 12th: The battalion disembarked in Alexandria, Egypt

August 18th : From Alexandria they embarked to Ismaila. They arrived on August 22

August 24th: Guard’s brigade was held in support at Tel-El-Mikuta. They did some repair and clearing the Canal.

September 13th: Battle of Tel-el-Kebir.

He was hospitalized in Malta from September 14 until the 19th for dysentery. Since he was in Malta on September 14th, he could not have been at Tel-El-Kebir the day before for the battle explaining why he did not receive the clasp. His service file does not mention that he is entitled to it.

He came back to United Kingdom on October 14th. The regiment came back to United Kingdom on November 14th so I think he never left Malta after his hospitalization there.

He was hospitalized again in London from November 28th until December 22nd for hemorrhoids.

He was transferred to Army Reserve 2nd Military District on July 1st, 1883. He married Jane Mackenzie the next day July 2nd at St-Mary’s Church in Dundee, Scotland. He was stationed there until May 31st, 1884.

He was discharged on November 13th 1888 after completing 12 years for his short service period. His conduct was listed as “fair”.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: